How To Safely Border My Child's Playground?
When it comes to playgrounds and playground safety, there are a few things you need to take into consideration in order to make sure your child is safe. The material you choose for your child’s playground border can have a huge effect on the safety and possibility of slips and falls.
You want to make sure the playground is in a safe area that is away from traffic and other hazards. In this guide, we’ll explain how you can safely border your child’s playground and why this is such an important thing to do to avoid accidents and slips/falls.
In this blog you’ll learn:
- What are the benefits of a safe playground
- How to choose the right border for your child’s playground
- Which materials work best to secure a playground from slips and falls
- How Frame It All can help you install your playground borders and ensure they are safe for your child
Visit our website to learn more about playground safety and why properly placed borders are the best choice to protect your child’s playground.
What Are The Benefits of a Safe Playground?
A safe playground is a place where children can explore, play and have fun without the worry of getting hurt. It is a place where they can be themselves and let their imaginations run wild. There are many benefits of having a safe playground for children.
It helps them to stay active and healthy, boosts their imagination and creativity, and teaches them social skills such as cooperation and sharing. It also helps them to develop a sense of responsibility and to understand the importance of safety. A safe playground is a great place for children to burn off energy, get some fresh air and have fun. It is a place where they can learn and grow while staying safe.
The benefits of having a safe playground include:
- Less risk of slips, falls, or accidents
- The easier ability for kids to run, play, and grow
- Parents feel at ease that their child is protected from accidents
- Playground borders offer protection against the decay of playground rubber flooring or sand
How To Choose The Right Border For Your Child’s Playground?
There are a few things to consider when choosing the right border for your child’s playground. First, you need to decide which type of border would be the best fit for your child’s playground. There are many different types of borders available, including wood, plastic, metal, and rubber. You’ll also want to ensure that your playground borders are fixed to absorbing surfaces.
Each type of border has its own advantages and disadvantages, so you will need to decide which type is best for your child’s playground. Next, you need to consider the size of the border. The border should be big enough to contain all of the playground equipment, but not so big that it takes up too much space.
Which Materials Work Best To Prevent Slips & Falls On Your Child’s Playground?
There are many different types of playground materials that can help prevent slips and falls. The materials you’ll want to consider that usually prevent slips and falls include rubber mats, sand, wood chips, and mulch. Each of these materials has its own benefits in terms of preventing slips and falls. Rubber mats, for example, provide a firm surface that is less likely to cause a child to slip and fall.
Sand, on the other hand, is a softer surface that can help cushion a fall. Wood chips and mulch are also good options for playgrounds, as they provide a softer surface for children to play on.
What Are The Different Types of Playground Borders & Which Materials Prevent Injury?
There are several different types of playground borders that can be used to create a safe and fun environment for children to play in. Some of the most popular types of borders include rubber mats, foam pads, and plastic edging. Each type of border has its own set of benefits and can help to prevent injury in one way or another. These benefits can help to create a safe and enjoyable playground for children.
Rubber mats are a popular choice for playground borders because they are durable and provide a safe surface for children to play on. Foam pads are another popular option because they are soft and provide a cushioned surface for children to play on. Plastic edging is also a popular choice for playground borders because it is durable and can be easily installed.
Playground flooring can also be unsafe. Common flooring materials include:
- Bark soft-fall, impact-absorbing sand
- Wet pour rubber
- Rubber tiles and pavers.
How To Safely Border Your Child’s Playground
In order to safely border your child’s playground, it’s important to understand the shape, area, and how much border you’ll need before you begin to purchase and construct the borders themselves. You’ll also want to decide whether you’d like to start a do-it-yourself (DIY) project or if you’d like to hire a company to install the borders for you. The latter can be somewhat unnecessary and much more expensive.
There are two different types of playground borders you’ll probably need to purchase:
- Curved playground borders
- Straight playground borders
- Color board samples make the process of purchasing border materials easier
While it’s best to speak to one of Frame It All’s installation experts (and read the instructions in your playground border kit first), we recommend these general steps to safely border your child’s playground:
- Understand and fully measure the layout and borders of your child’s playground
- Decide which material would be best for your playground
- Remember that weather in your area may affect your purchasing decision. Choose your border material wisely
- Gather personal protection equipment (goggles, gloves, etc.) and the correct tools you’ll need for installation
- Purchase or find the following tools (you may need additional tools or equipment):
- Metal Rake
- Tape Measure
- Framing Square
- Carefully measure, level, and install the playground’s borders for best fit and safety
- Encourage your child to enjoy their playground after all borders have been secured and tested for safety
Frame It All Carries An Extensive Collection of Playground Curved Border Kits
Frame It All playground borders were created by a landscape designer to be an easy, secure, and cost-effective way to contain wood and rubber safety surfacing under your child’s play area. We’ve designed our curved borders to flow naturally and gracefully tie into your existing landscape.
Unlike heavy wood ties that splinter (and are labor intensive), Frame It All composite boards (included in our Playground Border Kit - Curved Boards) and snap-lock brackets go together with ease. Our borders are made from sustainably sourced wood fibers and food-grade HDPE recycled plastic, so your children are safe from splinters and hazardous chemicals.
A few of the products benefits and important information to consider include:
- Eco-friendly: The equivalent of 97 single-use plastic bottles are diverted from oceans and landfills to make each 4 ft. 2” Profile composite board!
- Food-safe composite boards are made from 38% HDPE Plastic and 62% Certified Sustainably Sourced Wood Fibers.
- Snap-Lock Anchor/Stacking Brackets – simply slide and snap
- Playground border kits are also available in straight boards.
Purchase Your Curved Playground Border Kit Today